Eden Gardens is one of the biggest cricket ground in India. It is located in Kolkata, India. This stadium is in the B. B. D. Bagh area of the Kolkata, near the Calcutta High Court. This is the second largest cricket stadium in India, and the fourth-largest cricket stadium in the world. The Melbourne Cricket Ground, Stadium Australia is the biggest ground in the world and Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium, Kochi is the India biggest cricket ground. This ground has hosted many Test, ODI and T20I matches. It can accumulate upto 66,349 spectators.
Eden Gardens was the name of the oldest parks in Kolkata which was designed in 1841. The Eden is named by Lord Auckland in 1864, the Governor-General of India, Because Eden was his sisters name. This ground gone through the renovation process during the ICC Cricket World Cup 2011. During the upgradation process of ground, It’s seating capacity reduced from about 100,000 to 66,349 . Before the 1987 World Cup, the capacity of ground was approximately 120,000. Now renovated stadium included a players facilities and new club house. Exterior walls of stadium also upgraded results into new look of stadium. General infrastructure also improved with new/upgraded patron amenities and signage. Before 1984 both cricket and football matches were played in Eden Garden.
The first Test match was played at this venue in 1934, and its first One Day International match played in 1987. The Hero Cup knockout matches were staged at Eden Gardens, the first matches played under lights at the ground. Sporting floodlights, bowlers deliver from the High Court End or the Pavilion End of a pitch under curator Probir Mukherjee.
The headquarters of the Cricket Association of Bengal are at the Eden Gardens. Eden Garden stadium is the home ground for Bollywood actor Shah Rukh Khan Co – owned Kolkata Knight Riders team in Indian Premier League. The stadium is witness IPL matches since 2008 when IPL started.
* Rioting occurred in the ground during the 1966/67 West Indies and 1969/70 Australian tours of India.
* During derby league game between East Bengal and Mohun Bagan, 16 fans died in stampede in 6 th August 1980.
* Hosted the World Cup final of 1987 in which Australia won the world cup for the first time.
* The 1996 World Cup semi-final was called off and Sri Lanka awarded the match after crowd disturbances following an Indian batting collapse.
* The match played in empty stadium when Sachin Tendulkar got run out after colliding with Pakistan’s Shoaib Akhtar and crowd rioted. Police forced to evict a spectators in 1999 during India Vs Pakistan.
* In 1991, Kapil Dev took an ODI hat-trick against the Sri Lankans in this stadium.
* First Hat – trick in Test cricket by an any Indian bowler in this stadium where Harbhajan Singh Took it against Australia in 2000 / 2001.
* The highest run score of individual player is 281 , made by VVS Laxman against Australia in 2000 / 2001. India had won the match after being forced to follow on.
* Rohit Sharma made 264 runs off 173 against Sri Lanka, which is the highest score of individual in one day international history on 13th nov 2014 which was the 150th anniversary of Eden Garden.
Established : 1864
Capacity : 66,000 Approximately .
Floodlights : Yes
End names : High Court End, Pavilion End
Home team : Bengal Cricket Team, Indian Cricket Team, Kolkata Knight Riders (IPL Team)
Curator : Probir Mukherjee
Address : The Cricket Association of Bengal, DR BC Roy Club House, Eden Gardens, Kolkata – 700021 .
Sachin has written 3 awesome posts on Cricket for us at AllSportsLeagues.
Latest posts by Sachin T (see all)
- New zealand beat India by 47 Runs in the ICC T20 Cricket World Cup Matc - March 19, 2016
- Again U Mumba Beat Puneri Paltan In Thrilling Contest In PKL 2016 season 3 - March 3, 2016
- Dabang Delhi Won Against Bengaluru Bulls In PKL Season 3 - February 23, 2016